Cutting + sticking + sewing + baking. My creative life.

100 Day Project – Vintage Quilt

I’ve finished and given the last quilt of 2021 to a dear friend. This quilt is made of vintage given fabric, I believe from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. It’s a simple four patch block alternated with a square. I used this quilt as a 100 day project, the idea is to choose a creative project, do it every day for 100 days and share your process on social media using the hashtag #The100DayProject. I was introduced to this idea by the artist Alison J Gilbert who made a collage every day for 100 days. I embroidered 100 floral motifs on to the pieced quilt top.

I used Frankenbatting, this is what we in the quilting community call piecing together batting scraps in order to make batting big enough for your quilt top.

My constant quilting companion, Billie.

I was looking for suitable vintage backing for this quilt and my friend Amanda gave me her purple flowery duvet cover and it was just what I was looking for. I have the other side of the cover left over. It reminds me of growing up in the 1970s when the first “continental quilts” arrived. Before that we had (orange) nylon sheets and blankets, my sister was allowed cotton sheets as she had eczema.

I am a completer-finisher (check out Belbin’s team roles) and this is the last quilt of 2021.

Happy New Year

Much love

Melanie xx

2 Replies to “100 Day Project – Vintage Quilt”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Please reload

Please Wait